On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 13:20, John J. Trammell wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:26:30PM -0500, Tom Penney wrote:
> > I'm a little confused by what I am seeing with the du and df commands.
> > Regarding my partition mounted at /home, df says I've used 13443436k
> > (~13gig) while du says I've used 9914552k (<10gig) [see below].
>
> Hrm, a little googling suggests the command:
>
>   lsof | grep deleted
>
> The idea being that space taken by an open but "deleted" file is counted
> differently by df and du.

This was the problem. There were some old java processes running that
never died. Our java app created these huge files, text dumps of large
databases. The huge files were removed but the processes that created
them never died. Hence the big "open but deleted" files using up disk
space. Once we killed off the processes which were keeping the files
open the results seen by du and df were in sync. Thats a new one for me.
Thanks JT for helping me figure this out!

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>