Put a bag over your head  :-)   Kidding.. really mean that trying something like the hood on an old view camera (dark cloth draped
over the head and screen) may be the simplest answer.  Umbrella and simple side shades probably won't be enough.  Foldable cardboard
hood that extends about a foot forward from the screen top might be enough.

There are some special monitor screens that have tiny Venetian blind-like slots that do a fine job on some kinds of screens.  I
think 3M made some of these.  Have seen some advertised in the last year or so, so they can be had... maybe at places like Midwest
Surplus & Electronics or other local "junk shops".  These screens are thin.  Must look closely to see the slats which may not be as
much as 1/16" deep.  Store people are unlikely to know what these really are except "glare screens".  Good chance that one of these
will do the trick unless the sun is low and coming over your shoulder onto the screen... then just turn 90 degrees and keep the
glare from your eyes.  :-)
Glare and contrast-reducing background are the big problems.

Chuck