Ken Fuchs writes:

> Anyone have suggestions on what might be the fastest way to copy a disk
> image from an MS Windows 2000 server to a GNU/Linux client's hard drive?

netcat.

> NFS can be quite slow; is SMB any faster?  I suspect I should
> stay away from using network filesystems due to slower speeds.

no, smb is not faster.

basically what i would do is install cygwin and netcat on the windows file
server.

on the server:
cat disk.img | nc -l -p 8080

on the client, probably booted up using knoppix or something like it:
nc windowsfileserver 8080 | dd of=/dev/xxx  (where xxx is the node of
the target disk)

afaik this is the fastest way to move data accross a network all else
being equal.

--
Munir Nassar