On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 14:23, Dave Erickson wrote:
> I've done a bit of searching and haven't come up with much but what I
> was wondering is: can a person load an entire OS into RAM from the HDD
> or network and then use a sync program to write updates to the disk but
> actually run the whole thing in ram?
>
> What advantage would there be as far as actual speed increases? I would
> guess the performance increase could be dramatic as there would be no
> need to go to the HDD at all.
>
> I just upgraded to 1 GB of RAM in my desktop computer and started
> wondering....

Completely unnecessary, linux is already smarter than this. All
otherwise unused ram is used for block caching. All recently read blocks
are stored in RAM, this includes programs, data, everything.

Beware, I was having overheating problems a while back, when I upgraded
to 512mb RAM, ~256mb was used for cache, that means you can loose a LOT
of data if your machine hardlocks for some reason. If you're hardware's
at all flakey or you're playing with a new untested kernel driver, get
in the habit of typing 'sync' a lot...