>From apm(4):

     Disk spin-down, LCD backlight control, and power on demand have not
been
     supported on the current version.

(This is in -stable).  But I think there are kernel patches floating
around to enable spin-down through a sysctl variable.  You might try
google (and groups) for "freebsd disk spin down", possibly with "patch".

This may also have been rolled into -current within the last few
months.  You could try asking the experts on one of the FreeBSD mailing
lists (IIRC, there is a freebsd-mobile list)