A few days ago, I mentioned that I had a problem with the Puppy Linux
0.8.5 USB drive installation failing to boot.

Puppy Linux uses syslinux 2.08 as its boot loader when booting from a
USB drive.

All manual attempts at (re)installing syslinux 2.08 as the boot loader
on my USB pen drive failed:

# syslinux /dev/sda1

msdos> syslinux.exe e:

So, I booted a Knoppix live CD and did:

# syslinux /dev/sda1

After installing syslinux using the syslinux executable on the Knoppix
02-16-2004 CD, the USB drive now boots Puppy Linux 0.8.5 just fine.

The version of syslinux on the Knoppix CD is 2.04, so it appears that
syslinux 2.08 is buggy or at least the binaries of it I used were.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>