On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:59:50AM -0600, Ken Fuchs wrote:
> >$ screen /dev/ttyS0 9600 vt100
>
> This works great too!  However, this command line is inconsistent with
> the man page.  I shouldn't be surprised by man page bugs in open
> source software.  Right?

You prompted me to read the manpage more thoroughly.  It's very long,
and I tend only to look for what I need.  Perhaps I should take up
pleasure reading of random manpages. ;-)

Here's the excerpt that describes this functionality for screen:

WINDOW TYPE

   The normal window contains a shell (default, if no parameter is
   given) or any other  sys­ tem command that could be executed from a
   shell (e.g.  slogin, etc...)

   If  a  tty  (character  special device) name (e.g.  "/dev/ttya") is
   specified as the first parameter, then the window is directly
   connected to this device.   This  window  type  is similar  to
   "screen  cu  -l /dev/ttya".  Read and write access is required on the
   device node, an exclusive open is attempted on the node to mark the
   connection line as busy.  An optional  parameter is allowed
   consisting of a comma separated list of flags in the nota­ tion used
   by stty(1):

      <baud_rate>
         Usually 300, 1200, 9600 or 19200. This affects transmission as
         well  as  receive speed.

      cs8 or cs7
         Specify the transmission of eight (or seven) bits per byte.

      ixon or -ixon
         Enables (or disables) software flow-control (CTRL-S/CTRL-Q) for
         sending data.

      ixoff or -ixon
         Enables (or disables) software flow-control for receiving data.

      istrip or -istrip
         Clear (or keep) the eight bit in each received byte.

Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie