On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> I used to work on Cicso Catalysts with minicom w/o any problems.  I
> believe some of the problems involved speed, so make sure you're serial
> connection isn't trying to recreate the autobahn.  Dial down the speed
> to 19200 or 9600.  IIRC, sometimes you need to reboot the switch and lay
> on the enter key immediately to get a response.

 I think my major issue has always been the dial strings.  If they're set,
minicom seems to think it has to dial for the connection to be active.  My
first step is usually to zero them all out.  More recently, I've been
using screen as a terminal emulator, thanks to Trammell's suggestion some
time back.  Since I've been a happy screen user for 9+ years, I tend to
have it installed already. :)

$ screen /dev/ttyS0 9600 vt100

 I can't argue with the simplicity.

     Jima