Munir Nassar wrote:

>minicom sucks! there i said it. so flame me!

>use the infinitely more versatile cu instead. it is usually part of the
>uucp package.

>$ cu -s 9600 -l /dev/ttyS0

The above cu cmd line worked great in connecting to the Catalyst 1900.

I did turn off flow control with "~%nostop", but it probably was already
off.

cu also probably uses 8 bits, no parity and one stop bit by default.

>word of warning: cu uses ~ as the escape char, same as ssh. so if you ssh
>into a box and use cu change the default escape char, -E` for example.
>otherwise you end up wondering why your ssh session died when you sent a
>break to the router :)

Thanks for the warning.  I used ssh to start an xterm and ran cu in the
xterm, thus avoiding the escape character issue altogether.

------

I'm now in the 1900's diagnostic console hoping to clear out the
password, so I can access management commands.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>