> I'm trying to access my Catalyst 1900 via the serial console.

Weird... I'm trying to connect to a Catalyst 2820 and having the identical
problem.  The 2820 and 1900 are the same switch.

The 2820 has a DB9 connector instead of the RJ45.  I tried making a cable,
then I tried a real serial cable, then I tried a Cisco rollover cable with
a DB9 <-> RJ45 terminal adapter on each end.  Nothing.  I tested the
pinouts with a VOM and it's correct.  I'm using 9600 8N2 in minicom as
described in the manual.  No response at all from the switch.

I'll try Windows apps and other linux apps like screen.  If I manage to
get in, I'll post it, I'd apreciate the same if you get it to work.

-Brian