Anton Yurchenko's generous response was:

>It will give you a version and other stuff on boot-up, apart from making
>sure that you do not have serial ports disabled in BIOS( that happens)

I tried a different computer whose BIOS had both serial ports enabled,
but I had no success.  I tried a second Catalyst 1900, but again no
success.  I tried /dev/ttyS[0-3].

>I`d still blame the cable. Did you just cut of a jack off an existing
>rj-45 cable? Because the pin-out on the cisco console cable is not the
>same as with EIA/TIA 568a or 568b standards. I suggest you check it. If
>you have a ohmmeter/voltmeter try to check each pin. I did this kind of
>cable myself, and it worked. Though I didn`t use instructions from the
>hardwarebook.net. Check the cisco site it has a pin-out from db9 to rj-45
>connector.

I did a continuity check of every wire in the cable from the DB9 to the
RJ-45 end and also checked for all possible unwanted shorts.  The cable
wires are connected to the proper pins at each end and no shorts were
detected.

The hardwarebook.net cable diagram is equivalent to the one in the Cisco
Catalyst 1900 manual.

Is minicom the best GNU/Linux program to use to connect to the serial
console of a Catalyst 1900?  Is there a special sequence that needs to
be followed?

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>