Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> I have been having the darnedest time with a client machine connecting
> via NFS over wifi.  I have a couple of machines, call them thing1 and
> thing2, that get their (Mandrake) rpm updates from a mirror machine.
> thing1 connects on a cable and it works perfectly.
>
> thing2 connects over 802.11b and my updates just stop and go nowhere.
> For that matter, when I try to ls the automounted over nfs directory,
> the ls goes nowhere (and doesn't recover gracefully at all --- it
> leaves a zombie process :-( ).
>
> Weirdly enough, thing2 CAN connect quite happily over ssh to the
> mirror.  I can log in and work quite successfully.  AFAICT there isn't
> any authentication failure, either --- syslog says that the mirror's
> authenticated an NFS connection from thing2.
>
> I was wondering -- could this be some kind of udp weirdness?  seems
> like nfs is operating over UDP.  Any suggestions (aside from the
> obvious "just shut up and go back to using ssh for your updates.")?

Are you using some kind of packaged firewall/wireless/router between
thing2 and the Mandrake updates server?  Check to see if UDP traffic is
being blocked.  Its possible the NFS authentication is happening over
TCP and that's why that part works and why the SSH connection works.

Try running ethereal to see what packets are being passed in/out of the
wireless client and what's received on the other side.
--
scot