Josh Trutwin wrote:

>I just implemented IMAP over SSL using Courier IMAP and my client has two different SSL options for IMAP, one is STARTTLS the other is IMAP over SSL (sylpheed is my client)
>
>I am curious if anyone can sum up what the difference is between these two.
>
>As near as I can tell/guess with ethereal, IMAP over SSL is the exact same protocol as IMAP just on an SSL enabled port (993 typically) while STARTTLS is SSL encrypted, but on the IMAP port (143).  But with STARTTLS is it a different protocol?  Is the SMTP connection encrypted too?

it is not different its just a different port and handshake procedure.
it basically connects to port 143 and after connecting start the SSL
handshake by issuing a STARTTLS command. Which one is better? I guess no
difference you just have to use whichever client/server supports. With
IMAP its usually IMAPs, same with POP3, though with SMTP its usually
STARTTLS.