Quoting Josh Close <josh at teamfreeze.com>:

> I'm using putty from windows to login, and I didn't see an option for ipv4
> only. Also, this just started last week, so there must be a way to fix this.
> It does it when I do "su" also, so ipv4 wouldn't solve the "su" part of it.
> It's something to do with the password lookup I think. The login prompt
> comes right up, but after I enter the password it takes forever.
>
> -Josh

You might want to try changing the setting for VerifyReverseMapping to no in
your sshd, and/or set up reverse DNS mapping in /etc/hosts, just to verify this
is not it. I suppose there could be an authentication bug, but it really sounds
like rDNS.
Also, you might want to look at the -d option for sshd and see about running
sshd in debugging mode, maybe get some more output to make sense of what is
happening.

Josh