Nah, learning cureve isn't that steep. First thing to do is to drop back
to your last working kernel. 2.2.20 doesn't have all the wiz bang stuff,
but at least you have your network.

Next, drop by ftp.us.kernel.org and grab the latest 2.4 kernel source.
(2.4.25?)

While that's downloading,
apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot

That should fetch you everything needed for building your own Debianized
kernel. Once the kernel source and the needed packages installed, extract
the souce somewhere handy like your home directory. No need to stick this
all in /usr/src.

Enter the directory for the extracted source, and type: cp
/boot/config-2.4.18 .config
followed by a
make oldconfig

You've just imported the Debian Kernel Maintainers kernel settings into
your source, so you now have a kernel that is more or less configured.
Double check that the modues/options you need are selected by typing make
config. (instead of make oldconfig you can do make config...I've had a
configuration not carry over before with oldconfig for whatever reason..)

If you're feeling brave, customize your kernel. If not, you can get to
building. The debian config builds just about everything, so it will take
a bit of extra time.

Once you have things configured to your liking, you can set kernel-package
to work for you. :)

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=99:custom.1.0 kernel_image modules_image

That should spit out your pcmcia-modules and kernel-image packages. You
can also do kernel_doc, kernel_headers, etc. and get the other standard
debian packages. Or you can just do

fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=99:custom.1.0 binary

And it will spit out every kernel related package.

* The revision flag sets the version of your kernel. the 99: part means
the 99th revision or something. I do this to make sure that an official
kernel package doesn't overwrite my kernel. Since you're working with a
kernel version that isn't offered in the current version of Debian, you
shouldn't need it. But, better safe than sorry. The rest is just a
standard version name.

Update grub or lilo as needed, cross your fingers, and reboot. See
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package for more on kernel-package, I only touched
the "Brave and the impatient" section of the README, there is much more
information to be had.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.