Adam Maloney wrote:

>When I installed Sol8 on my workstation, it had 256M (yikes!), and
>suninstall recommended 1G of swap (I took defaults on everything and
>just cruised through it).  I've since upgraded to 768M, and this pig
>still eats into it:

1GB of swap is quite an unexpected amount for a system with 256MB.

I wonder if suninstall's suggested swap size is based on disk size?  I
installed on a 9GB and just let it auto-layout the whole drive just to
see how it would partition up the drive.  I didn't let suninstall touch
the other drive.

>Memory: 768M real, 157M free, 326M swap in use, 695M swap free

>But Xsun seems to be allergic to free(), I think it's the pixmap cache
>or something - it's currently using 121M and mozilla (another pig) is
>using 92MB.  Those two are the worst, but Gnome and Nautilus and
>Evolution are up there too - I'm about to switch back to CDE and pine,
>just so I don't eat into swap all the time.

Could there be a memory allocation bug?  This reminds of the now several
year old KDE kicker bug where it slowly allocates more memory to itself
unnecessarily.  Whenever my system got sluggish, I'd kill kicker and
restart it and everything would be fine again for several days.  kicker
would slowly allocate about 100MB to itself for no good reason over the
course of several days.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>