Mike Partyka wrote:

>I have been trying for the better part of two weeks to get a custom
>kernel compiled from sources on kernel.org on a SuSE 9 desktop system.
>My difficulties have caused me to shift my thinking somewhat.

First boot SuSE 9 with its default kernel and copy /proc/config.gz which
is the gzip compressed .config file used to build the running kernel.
The kernel option that enables /proc/config.gz is CONFIG_PROC_CONFIG
which SuSE has usually included by default.  Always make sure this
option is enabled, since that will make it easier to determine what was
statically (and well as dynamically) compiled into the kernel

Next try an updated SuSE Linux kernel and compare its .config file and
the default config, add and remove options as you see fit and compile
the new kernel.

A kernel.org kernel may not have all the patches that SuSE has added and
it usually has much fewer options selected than the default SuSE kernel,
so it may not function as well, if at all.  Some features of the SuSE
distribution will not work (or work properly) without certain SuSE
applied kernel patches.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>