From: PHPTOm [mailto:phptom at wordesign.net]
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 11:12 PM
To: Tclug-List at Mn-Linux. Org
Subject: [TCLUG] kenel upgrade for debian

Hello all,

I got debian running on my laptop with xfree86 and all sorts of fancy stuff.
I even got on the network using a new linksys pcmcia card.  For me this is
quite an achievement.

The other day I posted a message regarding my pcmcia going down after an
upgrade.  I got fancy and decided to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.20-compact
to 2.4.18.  Using dselect, I installed kernel-image 2.4.18 and the
"kernel-pcmcia-modules" 2.4.18 packages.  That is when the network
connection went down.

After 14 hours of googling, I found this site:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2003/debian-laptop-200307/msg00126.htm

The poor bastard has the same problem.  Error message:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-686/pcmcia/i82365.o:  unresolved symbol
isapnp_find_dev_R9991be23

The response says to upgrade pcmcia-ps and use the new config.  I got
pcmcia-ps testing package from the debian packages site.  Then I found out
pcmcia-ps depends on libc6 2.3.2, but when I tried to install the new libc6,
I got all sorts of conflicts.

Is upgrading the kernel in this fashion just a bad idea?

TOm