On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:09:11AM -0600, David Phillips wrote:
> PPTP has several major advantages over IPsec:
>
> - available now
> - well supported on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
> - works over NAT
> - supports protocols besides IP

One of my colleagues had IPSec over NAT working from his home Linux
box (running Mandrake).  He recently installed Mandrake 10.0 on the
box, and hasn't gotten around to reinstalling the IPSec client - he
formatted the drive and started over from scratch.

For connecting to work using my (employer-supplied) Windows laptop, I
never did get PPTP working through my NAT - I'd even punched the holes
in my NAT table that I was told needed to be punched, and still
couldn't get it working.  When I told IPSec to tunnel using TCP
instead of UDP, it just started working - and I didn't have to punch
holes!  So, from my experience, IPSec is working better over NAT than
PPTP did.  This is also my experience supporting sales-droids in the
field - we had no end of problems getting PPTP working in NAT
environments, but the moment we got IPSec over TCP, it just worked.

So, I'm afraid I have to dispute at least your first and third bullet
points.  For your second bullet point, I don't know how well-supported
IPSec is on Linux, but it is available.  Personally, I don't consider
bullet point 4 to be an issue, but I am willing to concede that there
are environments where it might be.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org