Todd Young wrote:
> I read somewhere that your swap space should be double your RAM up to
> 512MB, but I can't remember if that meant up to 512MB of RAM or 512MB of
> swap.

Generally you want 2 or 3 X physical RAM.  Keep in mind the 2.4.x
kernels use swap more aggressively then older kernels did.  I usually
look at the max RAM a box can hold and double that just so that if I add
RAM in the future, I don't have to scramble to find swap should I need it.
If you have tons of disk, be generous with swap.

For boxes that have limited phyiscal RAM (eg, laptops) generally 1 X
physical RAM is sufficient.

> Basically, I acquired a twin processor PII-400 system with only one
> processor and a single 128MB stick of RAM (but 4 slots available). I
> have since added a second processor (and new heat sinks with fans) and
> filled all four slots with 128MB sticks of ECC RAM (yes the BIOS
> supports ECC, isn't that cool).
>
> But back to my original question. I'm thinking a Gig of swap is way
> overkill. I was thinking 768MB max.

If you don't plan on going beyond 512MB of RAM, the 768MB should be more
then enough.
--
scot