On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 17:38, Adam Maloney wrote:
> Sort by date is sorting by the date/time/timezone from the sender's
> mailclient.
>
> Pine (and probably others) had Sort by Arrival - that is, time based on
> when the message arrived in your mailbox.  Sort by arrival is generally
> more accurate from your viewpoint.
>
> I've been using evolution for a few months now too, and that was one of
> the first things I've noticed.  But I never cared enough to look at it
> much.  I didn't see any way to do this at first glance, but I never
> looked very hard.  I'd be interested if you found a setting somewhere...

Right click on the column headings (such as from/subject/sent) and pick
"add column". You can then add received to your columns.  This sorts by
arrival time like you can do in pine.

Sent is like you said, when the sender "sent" it according to their
clock.  I get messages with a date of Jan 1 1970, or 2017 sometimes,
they seem to come from poorly managed mail servers of some sort or
another.

Hope that helps.

-Chuck Hays
lists at chuckhays.net