NICE, i didn't realize it would show up as a SCSI device. I looked
through the logs and found that it looks it recognized it as the
following:

Mar 17 14:23:07 coredump kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-2,
assigned address 6
Mar 17 14:23:07 coredump kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data
integrity not assured
Mar 17 14:23:07 coredump kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 6
Mar 17 14:23:10 coredump modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf.local is more
recent than /lib/modules/2.4.21-192-default/modules.dep
Mar 17 14:23:10 coredump last message repeated 7 times

And i tested by mounting to /mnt and it worked like a charm.

I'm still shaky in my understanding of kernel modules and modules.conf,
can anyone tell me if i should be worried about that last log entry?

Thanks a bunch for all your suggestions!