The way I understand it, usbdevfs is a kernel module that provides support
for file systems on USB devices (go figure!) So this is a sort of
groundwork for your USB hard drive. The item you're actually going to
mount (if it's like my thumb-drive in debian) will be /dev/sda. So then
you need to edit your /etc/fstab and add an entry like:
/dev/sda /mnt/usbhdd rw,noauto 0 0

I'm guessing that's not exactly right, but it should be close. So then you
need to 'mkdir /mnt/usbhdd', plug in the device, figure out what modules
you need to load if they don't autoload (check dmesg output to see what
happens when you plug it in.) Then you should be able to 'mount
/mnt/usbhdd' and be good to go from there.

Anyone, please correct any incorrect statements I've made.