My personal best - I got a screenshot at 600 days.  It died at 657
(fscking Bind...).  We had a eulogy.  Actually, we had a party with cake
at 600 days.  Our little P-133 that could.

http://www.sihope.com/~adamm/unix6/unix6.jpg

Yeah, 657 isn't record-shattering, but it's still a testament to the power
and stability of unix, in any flavor.

And the infamous message I sent out to our tech mailing list:

Last night, tragedy struck the quiet server room of Sihope.  Unix6, one
of our DNS and backup mailservers, had a kernel panic and rebooted shortly
before 10pm.  By the time our monitoring caught the problem, it was too
late.

Our initial prognosis based on the messages it logged before it's final
breath was that a complication with a newer version of Bind exhausted
mbufs, causing the system to run out of memory for network buffers.  After
rebooting, the system came back up and we made some tweaks to the named
configuration.  It's now back to serving DNS requests again, however it's
just an empty shell now, having lost it's spark of life, it's soul, it's
amazing uptime.

On November 20th at 21:41:56, after running for 657 days, 20 hours,
and 51 minutes, Unix6 logged it's last syslog message and quietly passed
on.

We are left with the small comfort in knowing that it has gone to a better
place, the big kernel in the sky.

This afternoon Sihope staff will be holding a short service to pay tribute
to our lost friend, Unichs Xavier Six.  Before we commit our departed
server to it's final resting place, there will be a reading from page 3 of
"The Complete FreeBSD".

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications