up2date is slow in general. Open up a terminal and use yum, it's slightly
faster. When I installed Fedora, I was missing the gpg keyrings of the
Fedora folks, so up2date would stop on every package to ask if it was ok
to install...that plus the slow server made it very annoying. Importing
the GPG keys (which are lurking in /usr/share/doc if I'm not mistaken)
helps alot, but up2date is still painfully slow.

There are many a link out there. I collected many from this list:
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/
http://rpm.livna.org/
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO.php
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_article.php
http://www.jdmz.net/yum/
www.fedorazine.com
www.fedoranews.org

Plenty of helpful stuff there :)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.