But his ISP obviously is allowing it through, since most sites can still
send him mail (and I can connect to port 25 from here, outside of his
ISP's network).

Without an error message from the sending side, I am still recommending
forwarding the ident port through the ActionTec.

Are you sure your subscription is still active?  Maybe the ML software
suspended delivery to your domain because of problems during the router
swap?