On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, kevin wrote:
> I guess I assumed something I should not have. I have never set up a T1.
> I thought that when you order one, the end result (from the phone
> company) was an Ethernet connection that you simply connected a device
> with an IP to. It looks like that may be an incorrect assumption. It
> looks like a router with a T1 interface and an Ethernet interface is
> required. Does this Ethernet interface have an IP? If so, do I just
> connect these routers to switches at each end and voila! the sites can
> talk to each other (disregarding the Internet T1)?

If you do buy "real" routers on each end, you don't really need the Linux
boxes to do the routing for you.

If you do want to use Linux boxes as routers, you can pick up serial T1
cards (Sangoma sells 'em, along with a couple other companies), and plug
the T1's directly into the Linux boxes. May save a couple bucks that way,
too, but it's not as widely used configuration, so getting help if things
break may be a bit tougher.