Jeff (the original poster) wrote:

>I'm not very concerned with 3d performance under Linux.  I'm really
>looking for fast performance in X-windows.

I interpreted that to mean great 2D performance and little or no 3D.

Jeff also wanted 3 video signals.  Probably one AGP dual head such as
the Matrox G450.  If moderate 3d speed is desired, maybe a high quality
PCI video card could provide that.

Matrox also provides the best video signal quality (easier on the eyes)
of any main stream video card manufacturer.  Sometimes you can't put a
price on the eye strain reducing quality of a video card.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>