when last we saw our hero (Thursday, Mar 11, 2004),
 alfracto at comcast.net was madly tapping out:
> My red-hat distribution /etc/passwd file uses the script file
> /sbin/nologin for non-shell users.  After creating my test ftp user
> 'newt' and newt's password, I edited passwd so that newt's login
> shell was /sbin/nologin.
>
> So far, newt can ftp just fine but cannot log into the box.
>
> Is this a real fix, or am I just hopelessly uninformed?  A am more
> or less a mid-range dabbler in linux.

if there's a real desire to have ftp specific accounts on a server
without the hassle of creating separate accounts w/o shells, ~'s, etc.
i highly recommend using an FTP server that supports virtual accounts
that have nothing to do with the underlying auth system on your box.

i know it's not free, but i highly recommend ncftpd[1], it's available
for every interesting platform on earth and it's very reasonably
priced.  performance is phenomenal you save yourself the hassle of
shell vs. no shell accounts and it's got more knobs than any other
ftp server i've used.

references
[1] - http://www.ncftp.com

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC