> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:41:45 -0600
> From: "John T. Hoffoss" <hoff0438 at umn.edu>

> > From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-
> > linux.org] On Behalf Of Chris Schumann

> > I got a copy of Microsoft's VirtualPC 2004 yesterday and installed it
> > on a Windows XP Pro computer at home. It currently only supports
> > Windows 2000 or later as a host OS now. But if someone can tell me how
> > to get video editing, DVD burning and HDTV viewing done in Linux, I'm
> > more than happy to listen!
>
> Virtual PC has always been Windows-host only, VMWare will allow Linux as
> the host OS though.

I didn't go buy Virtual PC. It came with the Action Pack, which allows
consultants such as myself to get a lot of software to learn and try for a
year for pretty cheap. Virtual PC was just included last month.

> You will probably have problems with getting all your video stuff
> working. I did some research between these two packages, and the biggest
> difference I could see was the way VMWare provides video/sound devices
> versus the way Virtual PC does.
>
> I apologize that I can't offer more support than to say best of luck,
> and check the MS support newsgroups linked off of their Virtual PC
> homepage.

An excellent idea. I'll do that.

> > One strange thing is that installation took a very long time. Like
> > over two hours long. The CPU was idle most of the time, so I'm
> > chalking this up to inefficient CD-ROM emulation layers so far.
>
> Yes, Virtual PC's emulation isn't extremely efficient; of course, that
> depends on what you run it on. I think VMWare is better, as it acts more
> as a pass-through to the hardware, rather than pure emulation.
>
> > Another thing new to this person who's never run VM software before
> > was seeing a new virtual network card, with some made-up MAC address
> > get an IP address from my DHCP server. So now my machine has two IP
> > addresses.
>
> You can normally run a NAT'd network, as well, so your PC only has one
> external IP, and then you get another virtual adapter with an internal
> IP & DHCP for your virtual machines.

It's actually quite OK. I like being able to have each virtual machine
host a service. I'm behind a router so all the addresses are non-routed
anyway.

(discussion of up2date)
> > If anyone has tips on speeding that process, I'd be very grateful.
>
> Mirror on your LAN on another box? Or a mirror in a VM :) Are you sure
> it's the server?

The very slow up2date also took hours on my ThinkPad on a dual-boot
configuration. Local network activity is very fast on both, though. I was
looking for a less-loaded mirror, such as mn-linux, real-time or the like.

> I haven't used Virtual PC extensively, but I may be very soon, so I'd be
> interested to know if you get around these sound/video issues and
> network speed.

CPU performance so far seems fine. I'll test more with network once
up2date is complete, then on to video for a bit then sound. It's strange
but I'm itching to play an old DOS game (Full Throttle).