(Top posting fixed - please don't top post)

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:32:45AM -0600, Mike Partyka wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:10, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 03:34:52PM -0600, Mike Partyka wrote:
> > > The VMware FAQ says make sure you have kernel support for:
> > >
> > > Real Time Clock
> > >  and
> > > CONFIG_PARPORT_PC
> > >
> > > I believe both of these are part of the stock SuSE 9 Kernel but i
> > > wanted to make sure before i call VMware.
> >
> > What does your /boot/config-`uname -r` say?  Grep through that for the
> > appropriate strings.
> Hmm, I get:
>
> coredump:~ # /boot/config-`uname -r`
> bash: /boot/config-2.4.21-192-default: Permission denied
>
> Even logged in as root. Any other suggestions?

You get permission denied because you tried to run a text file.
The file that Chad mentioned contains the configuration for the
kernel that you are running.  You have to run some program on
that file to look at it.

To browse the file:
   less /boot/config-`uname -r`
or
   more /boot/config-`uname -r`

To look for the options you mention:
   grep CONFIG_PARPORT_PC /boot/config-`uname -r`
   grep RTC /boot/config-`uname -r`