Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> So I installed debian 3.0r1 yesterday.  The install went fine, though I
> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
> no screens found

Probably the first thing you want to decide is which version you want to use.
I'm currently using unstable (== sid) and I'm very happy with it's stability
(despite it's name).  X is now up to version 4.3.0 which is perhaps the
first thing to try (if you decide to go to a newer version).

I don't have an authoritative list of references, but these three come to mind:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/installers.html

(older, may predate some newer installers above)

Then, once you get a modern X environment you need to configure X
for your graphics adapter.  You may use devices like vesa or svga for
debugging until you get an optimized driver (built or loaded).
(Configuring the screen/device in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 will fix the
the "no screens found" problem).

HTH,

--Tom