Matt Murphy writes:
> Ack, now I see what you were doing... Store your files in a
> database!!!

That is a horrible idea.  File systems work very well for storing files
(what a surprise).  The trend of "stick everything into a database just
because we can" is counterproductive.  There are times when storing files in
a database is the right solution, but this certainly isn't one of them.

I think this entire incident is a great example of using the wrong tool for
the job.  The OP is using PHP simply to include a few pages together.  SSI
would be faster, more secure and have a clean URL structure that is
indexable by more search engines.  It also has the advantage that the page
layout is not determined by the linking URL (which is quite silly).

In general, think simple.  In most cases, you don't get a better solution
than the simplest solution unless you go with a really complicated solution.
And in almost all cases the complicated solution is not worth it.

Remember this quote by Albert Einstein: Everything should be made as simple
as possible, but not simpler.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/