Josh Welch <tclug at joshwelch.com>

>Quoting Patrick McCabe <patrickm at citilink.com>:

>> How can this be? These computers have been used apparently successfully
>> for at least a couple years. I have tested the memory chips in other
>> systems and they all pass; I have put new memory in these systems and
>> they all fail.

I've heard that MS Windows has special code that works around hardware
problems.  There may also be special code from the motherboard
manufacturer that works around these hardware problems as well, but only
for specific MS Windows operating systems.  How to hide bad hardware ...

>What kind of boxes are they? Could be some sort of a bug specific to that
>specific machine.

A few years ago, I had a problem with a motherboard not running Linux
properly (actually X windows).  It seems that the last megabyte of RAM
was being used by some motherboard resource (maybe onboard video).  The
machine had 128MB, so the workaround was to simply specify the mem=127M
option to the kernel on boot up.  Then everything worked great!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>