There are several ways and problems to solve with this.
1. Erased LILO - Boot from CD - choose upgrade, proceed until after the part
about partition, right after this hit Alt-F3 to get shell prompt. Enter -
/mnt/sbin/lilo -r /mnt         should see "adding Linux"
reboot the computer
2. If not able to reinstall - At boot prompt enter -
linux rescue
enter -
mount /dev/hdaX /mnt
you'll be in root dir - enter
/sbin/lilo
it will overwrite the MBR
enter contrl-D and reboot
3. Only get the L or LI - boot with a linux disk
enter -  /sbin/lilo -v -v
check the error messages  with the LILO Readme file -
/usr/share/doc/lilo-version-#/README
might be able to add linear or lba32 or compact in options of /etc/lilo/conf
4. Windows overwrites LILO or MBR -  restart computer with bootable disk
run LILOCONFIG from floppy drive
If LILO was installed in superblock use FDISK command to activate the Linux
partition.
5. Clear LILO from MBR
enter  - fdisk /mbr
6. LILO --
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=100
other = /dev/hda1
label = dos
table = /dev/hda
image=linux        or /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.30-2.9      ( your version of linux)
root=/dev/hda3
read-only

If you can get to reboot the computer into Linux, just go through the LILO
configuration procedure to reload the LILO. Always carry a linux boot disk.
I never leave home without one. Once you are in Linux you can fix most
anything. Also, check the Linux version knowledgebase for your flavor and
the linuxquestions.org and linuxdocumentationproject site. These have many
problem and instruction sheets for download - clean them up and put them on
a floppy or CD for emergencies. I also have a large notebook with these
printed out.
Thanks,
Tim Sinks