On 3/3/2004 4:03 PM Scot Jenkins wrote:
> do you have the URL for the pricing info?

I'm not sure about naked DSL, but here's some info for DSL on a "normal"
Qwest phone line.

http://www.qwest.com/residential/products/dsl give the basic price info,
with and without MSN as your ISP.

More info at
https://apps.qwest.com/qhost/content/downloads/1.5M_FAQ_2.6.04.doc

Just as an example, I had a CAP line (with POTS, not "naked DSL") with a
Cisco 675 modem. I ordered the new 1.5M service on 02/20, told them I
don't need an Actiontec modem, and got one work order due on 02/25. On
02/25 I called them to see why it hadn't happened yet. They said that
they didn't do anything because my order didn't say whether I was
getting a new (Actiontec) modem or not. They re-did the order, which
ended up creating two new orders due on 03/03. This morning my DSL was
down. I set up my Cisco 678 (acquired via Ebay, $50) and it works fine.

A few notes, based on personal experience plus what I've read on
VISI.COM's newsgroup. As you'll see, I'm most familiar with Cisco 675
and 678 DSL modems:

  As others have pointed out, when you call Qwest, you may or
    may not reach someone who has a clue. It's best if you
    figure out ahead of time exactly what needs to happen.

  If you have CAP, you need two Qwest work orders. One to
    switch from CAP to DMT, one for the speed change. They
    should both have the same due date. Usually the change
    occurs in early a.m., with an hour or so downtime.

  Cisco 675 runs only CAP, can't be used with Qwest's new
    offer.

  Cisco 678 can run either CAP or DMT, depending on the code
    you load into its flash memory. No longer manufactured, but
    you can pick them up on Ebay (price is going up along with
    the demand from folks switching from CAP to DMT).

  Cisco 678 does *NOT* have a built-in line filter, like the
    Cisco 675. If you plug a phone into the "phone" jack on a
    678, you need to have a separate line filter between the
    678 and the phone.

  Although Qwest says the "up" speed is 896Kbps, it can range
    anywhere from 256 to 1024 (yes, 1024) depending mainly on
    your distance from the CO. The "down" speed will probably
    be 1536Kbps, but not guaranteed.

  You do *NOT* need an Actiontec modem. A Cisco 678 *WILL* work.
    A Zoom X3/X4/X5 will work. A Speedstream 5660 will work.
    Some Qwest folks will insist you need an Actiontec. Ask to
    talk to a supervisor, or get transferred to DSL support.
    Hang up and call them again (to get a different rep) if you
    have to.

  If you now have a DMT line and a Cisco 678, all you'll need
    to do after the upgrade is retrain your modem. In ENABLED
    mode, issue the "set int wan0 retrain" command. Or, reboot
    the modem. You don't need a new modem, you shouldn't even
    need to change its configuration. If you're running an OLD
    version of CBOS, you may want to get version 2.4.6, circa
    June 2002.

  My ISP, VISI, requests that you notify them when you get an
    order number and due date from Qwest. I don't know what,
    if anything, they need to change. So far, my ISP had not
    mentioned any price change on their end.

Most of the problems I've heard about are customers who can't get a
Qwest rep on the phone that knows how to put the order in correctly, or
they don't think the line qualifies (these are customers who already
*have* DSL!), or the rep flat out refuses to put in an order without an
Actiontec. If you don't need their Actiontec modem, make sure that the
work order says so. Get the rep's name and ID number, get the order
number(s) and check on them a day or two later to make sure they're
still on track.

Godspeed, DSLers!
jcf

--
Any information contained herein is correct to the best of my knowledge.
I could be wrong. May contain typos. Your mileage may vary. Windows sucks.