On 03/02 11:27 , Nate Carlson wrote:
> One thing to note - one of my coworkers also has Vonage, and was using it
> with old junk phones to start with (like the really early touch-tone
> phones).  He said it sounded horrible on those, and went out and purchased
> a cheap new phone, and the quality improved.

that would be me. :) yeah, 1979-vintage phones really suck on my ATA-186.
1980s-vintage phones work much better; and new phones work better yet (even
if it is a $9.99 special from Target). I suspect that the ATA-186 amplifies
any imperfections in the signal, so things either sound really good, or
really bad; nothing in between like you get with an analog line.

sometimes, the sound quality is pretty good; as good as a landline if not
better. Other times, it's awful (sometimes even when calling different
offices in the same building at the remote end, one call will be great, and
another will have many dropouts and 'static').

When I called Vonage's help desk once; the quality was kind of spotty. I'd
hypothesize that they might be internally using VoIP phones on an overloaded
network; but I don't have any evidence to back that hypothesis up.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises