On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:36:11 -0600
"David Phillips" <david at acz.org> wrote:

> It sounds like a bad network card or issues caused by a cheap
> network card. Make sure you have the latest kernel.  If so, try
> changing the network card.
>
> RTL8139 based cards (8139too driver) are a bad idea.  While they
> should work, it is a lousy chipset and I've seen problems with them
> on certain machines.  These chipsets are usually found on very cheap
> cards (and even some not-so-cheap cards if you are shopping at Best
> Buy or similar).  A new Linksys LNE100TX (tulip driver) is a decent
> card for a home machine.  I've always had good luck with eepro100
> based cards in both Linux and FreeBSD on machines that push a lot of
> traffic.  3com cards (3c59x driver) are also solid.
>
> Your hub / switch might also be broken.

I have the Linksys LNE100TX cards in all of my systems, and I'm
finding that they (Linksys in general) are crap.  Cabling checks out
fine. I have a Cisco hub with a Linksys Etherfast switch (#ezxs88w)
connected into the hub. If I go from my desktop (plugged into the
switch) to my internal server, data transfer rate is pathetic.  Worse
than 10 networks.  Ditto if I go directly to Cisco.  I've tried hard
coding my servers for 100FD, with no difference.

All of my network cards are showing errors, one of them is even
showing counts in the 3.38 million error range after a week of
serving files.  If I change out the Linksys cards for 3Com, and plug
directly into the Cisco 10/100 hub, speed is where it's supposed to be
for 100MB networks without errors.

Downside, parts are more expensive for 3Com and Cisco compared to
Linksys.  Upside, parts are tons better! At least in my experience.

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"