Brent Friedman wrote:
> I have been having some trials and tribulations over getting a sparc box to run rsync, using storage on a windows box.
>
> I ran across something on the sun site that said Solaris doesn't support smbclient because SMBFS support isn't available yet.  (not sure of the date on that article)
>
> Running rsync from a linux box isn't an option right now (no extra boxes available).
>
> Could someone confirm/deny this evil rumor that sparc boxes can't browse windows drives?

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're asking.  smbclient can run
under Solaris if compiled on it.  However, smbclient is just a front-end
  client to browse Windows shares and give basic ftp-like file transfer
capabilities.

It sounds like you're asking whether it's possible to mount Windows
shares on a Solaris system, like you can in Linux.  Since the Solaris
kernel doesn't have the necessary hooks in it, that's not possible.

-- jeremy