holy **** some of this stuff is cool!
http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/vimtips.html

the word-completion trick (ctrl-n) rocks!

here's a nifty excerpt:
# Absolutely essential
* # g* g#           : find word under cursor (<cword>) (forwards/backwards)
%                   : match brackets {}[]()
.                   : repeat last modification
<C-N><C-P>          : word completion in insert mode
<C-X><C-L>          : Line complete SUPER USEFUL
/<C-R><C-W>         : Pull <cword> onto search/command line
/<C-R><C-A>         : Pull <CWORD> onto search/command line
:set ignorecase     : you nearly always want this
:syntax on          : colour syntax in Perl,HTML,PHP etc
:h regexp<C-D>      : type control-D and get a list all help topics
containing
                      regexp (plus use TAB to Step thru list)

After the vim presentation at TCLUG last year, I thought I had a decent
handle on how to use it; but I didn't know 1/100th of this stuff...

so how do you do all this stuff in Emacs?
(seriously, I want to know, just for curiosity's sake).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator