B_o_B wrote:

>Tuesday, June 29, 2004   @   9:01:35 PM Central Standard Time
>
>Hello, and a good day to you all.  I desperately needed to connect a
>10Mbps Hub to a 100Mbps Hub.  Busted out some junk, and mounted a
>Linux 2-port Ethernet Bridge on my wall.....

to expand on capabilities on the linux bridge, besides filtering with
iptables, there is a tool called ebtables, that allows to filter/mangle
packets on the datalink layer based on network layer info( ip addresses)
and at my previous job I`ve built kinda like a layer 3 switch that would
redirect packets on layer 2 according to the routes fed to it via BGP.
that thing pushed 150 mbits for a year and worked fine :) cheap
replacement until we got money for  cisco 3550.  you could also do funky
STP stuff with it too.
linux bridge is a very powerfull shit, once you have some crazy
application for it :)