Hi fellow LUGheads.  I have a couple of questions, hopefully easy.  I
recently, yesterday, installed Slackware 9.1 on my Dell Inspiron 1100.
Overall the installation went great especially since I am definitely still a
newbie.
I had a couple problems however.  My first problem involves my kernel.  When
I load Slackware 9.1 I get a string of errors regarding my kernel.  I am not
really sure what they are and if someone wants/thinks it will help I can try
to figure out what the errors are (apparently the boot info is stored
somewhere? vmlinuz?).
Also which kernel should I use?  When I installed Slackware I choose to skip
the question regarding which kernel to install (which is probably why I am
having this problem).  I downloaded the 2 ISO CDs off the internet so if
someone has a suggestion/help...thanks!  I know there are several kernels on
the discs.  Also should I maybe think about configuring my kernel?  How easy
is it for a newbie?
My second question involves my ethernet card which is a Broadcom 440x 10/100
Integrated Controller.  Apparently Slackware didn't recognize this...does
anyone know if it supports this controller?  How do I get it to work if it
does support it?  Will I need to download a driver?  Does the fact that it
doesn't recognize my ethernet card have anything to do with my kernel not
working properly?
My third question involves shutting down my computer.  I have no idea how to
shut down my computer...I know this sounds pretty stupid.  I logout of KDE
and then I am back to my terminal prompt.  If I type shutdown it logs me out
entirely.  Then if I turn off the computer it tells me that I didn't unmount
/dev/hdc2 (my Linux partition) properly next time I turn it on.  Any
suggestions?
My final question which is definitely the easist is...does Slackware 9.1
boot into a nice GUI log-in like Redhat or will I always have to start at a
terminal window, sign in, and then type startx to get into KDE?
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you guys!
Chris