On Saturday 26 June 2004 09:49 pm, Raymond Norton wrote:
> Any ideas?
> Raymond Norton
> LCTN
> admin at lctn.org

A couple of things to consider.

1. Some form of content management system. You need to make it easy for the
users to get information in and out. Toward that end visit
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix

2. The kind of information you are storing may not be well suited to a
standard relational database. Consider some form of document database. Since
that's what you're managing. Odd sized semi-structured data bits.

Now for the quirky suggestion for a solution. It'll come as no suprise to the
regulars that the first suggestion is Plone. It'll provide the user mechanism
and calendar tool you need. Events are a standard content type and once
published they appear on the central calendar. That parts straight forward.
For your tracking option there is an add-on called PloneCollectorNG. It was
designed initially as a bug collector application. It has been adapted as a
general help desk application and I suspect can be adapted to your need as
well.

If you are more comfortable with PHP there are similar programs out there for
PHP. Most using MySQL as the backend data store.

Another place to check for these kinds of things is www.hotscripts.com.

Good Luck. If you decide to try Plone as an option feel free to contact me
directly and I'll help if I can.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com