So the consulting firm I'm with got sick of renting a laptop for me and
decided it would be cheaper to purchase one.  It's a Toshiba Satellite
A65 from CompUSA.  It's actually kind of a piece of crap.  Don't buy
one if you're planning on putting linux on it.  And what designer makes
a laptop with no serial or ps/2 ports, but feels that a parallel port
has more uses and puts that on instead?

ATI IXP southbridge, so the sound and video are both ATI.  Atheros
802.11g wireless.  Soft reboot doesn't work under any OS, even the one
that shipped with it.

In any case, I've got everything working except for the wireless and
higher resolutions on the video card.

I gotta have more than 1024x768 resolution on my external monitor.  The
ATI fglrx do not work on it (error says no card was found, even with
the BusID specified).  If I use the radeon driver that ships with X, I
can get X working, but the max resolution is 1024x768.  The log file
for X shows that it's throwing away my higher resolutions because it
thinks the hsync is too high, when it's not.  At least this sorta looks
like what the problem is.  Is there a way to tell X not to throw out
resolutions and just happily use them?  It's actually the Radeon driver
that tosses them.

For some reason this email just sat in my outbox and in the meantime, I
found a solution....

You need to load the "ddc" module in your XF86Config file.  Works like
a charm.

Now I just need to figure out how to make Xinerama work properly across
both the laptop screen and external monitor, so it decides on what's
plugged in and starts appropriately.

-jay