Everyone has given good advice so there is only one thing I can add: mess around with them (maybe skip stdin), they don't bite.

1. create a new directory
2. create some files with known contents
$ echo one > file_one
$ echo two > file_two
$ echo three > file_three
$ ls
file_one
file_two
file_three

3. try stdout
$ ls > out
$ cat out
file_one
file_two
file_three

4. try stderr
$ ls this_file_does_not_exist > out
$ cat out
ls: no such file: this_file_does_not_exist

Ok, I don't have access to a bash shell at the moment so this
is probably not the exact error but you get the idea.

5. Prove that stdout and stderr can be controlled seperatly
$ ls file* this_file_does_not_exist 2> out
file_one
file_two
file_three
$ cat out
ls: no such file: this_file_does_not_exist

I better get back to work...