On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:47:52 -0500 (CDT)
Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> > Research into this issue shows that the SA spamd daemon scans a
> > message in about 1-3 seconds, but then spamc sits and sits for
> > minutes.  If I run spamc with the -c flag (which doesn't generate
> > the verbose report) then it's just as quick as spamd.  But I like
> > having the report so I can see why false positives/negatives
> > occured and act accordingly.
> >
> > Any thoughts?  Should I be posting to a Debian list?
>
> Have you tried manually running a message through spamc with
> verbosity turned up, so you can see where it's hanging up?

There is no spamc verbosity, only spamd, and yes I have turned it on.  spamd does it's thing then spamc sits and sits.  I tried running strace on it and there is just a period of time where it sits and prints nothing as well, sometimes for 5 minutes.  Even running just plain old spamassassin on a sample message exhibits the same behavior.  One of the oddest things I've come across.

No one on the SA/QS lists has had a helpful reply so I'm still grasping at straws, getting close to offering a cash reward...  :)

Josh