Chris Schumann wrote:
> Hardware RAID is good. Bootable. Reconstructs data while being used. No
> fuss.

and other than the CPU overhead, how is this different from linux
software RAID?

i boot off of it, i can reconstruct it while being used (though not
hotswap) and it is no fuss (once you set it up it just works)

> If the system is critical, then you have to be able to bounce back from
> any single failure within some short time, depending on your budget. That
> single failure can be a hard drive, power supply, RAID controller or
> storage box CPU, motherboard or tape drive. Have spares on hand. $2k
> sitting on the shelf is good insurnace against a day of lost work to many
> companies.

good advice, but microcenter and compusa are just a stonethrow away for
those who cannot afford/justify $2k sitting idle

> Many server boxes can accept redundant power supplies. I like IBM hardware
> for servers, but it's not on a retail shelf.

in my experience IBM, while good, is also very expensive. not enough
bang/buck goodness to justify the cost IMHO.

--
Munir Nassar