On 06/15 01:16 , Christopher wrote:
> I have a WAN environment with the Main office having 5 or so servers, with
> 80+ remote servers ranging anywhere from 16 gig scsi's to 400+ gig RAID
> arrays, which are all connected back to us using OpenVPN.  currently there
> are tapes on each site, and we are using the free version of Arkiea to run
> the backups.. I am considering moving to something that can more easily
> handle a central catalog and do "bare metal" restores.. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? I've spent hours pouring over fresmeat.net and sites like
> linuxbackup.org but it is pretty overwhelming.

BackupPC
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

uses rsync-over-ssh (among several options)so:
- can backup over WAN links, only transferring the changes after the first
  time
- goes nicely through firewalls (anywhere SSH can go)
- can be secured very well (I use a special user with a command-limited DSA
  key + sudo, on the client side)

also has a very nice web interface for restores; and authority to backup and
restore certain systems can be delegated to certain users.

bare-metal backups are doable by any admin who knows how to use tar +
netcat/ssh to transfer a system from one box to another.

individual-file backups can be done by users through the web interface. I
don't enable the feature that lets you restore files directly back to the
system they came from... partly for security reasons, and also because I
want to make sure I *think* 2-3 times about what I'm doing before I clobber
a file with a backup of that file.

I encourage you to try it out, and join the mailing list. there's some good
advice to be gained there, when it comes to scaling it out to large
installations. (but I see no reason it couldn't handle 80 servers and a
couple of TB of files backed up).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator