Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
> Itching to learn more about linux on "server hardware".  So I'm bidding on
> a Compaq Proliant 7000 with Quad Pentium II 200MHz processors, 640MB of
> RAM, and 11 18.2GB Wide Ultra SCSI hard drives.

This shouldn't be a problem.  Basically it's an oversized PC with the
nice features of RAID and redundant power supplies, etc.  Put it in your
basement, add a little duct work and you can heat your house in the
winter.  The one we had was loud and all those SCSI drives produce a lot
of heat.  It looks impressive though.

The last place I worked we ran RedHat 7.x on our 7000.  I think we had
Slackware 8 or 9 on it at one time too.  The big thing (as was already
mentioned) is setting up the RAID via the Compaq Smartstart CD before
you install the OS.  I have some older Smartstart CD's if you need them.

Once you have the RAID array setup, the OS install is pretty typical.
Run fdisk, but with the RAID, the devices show up as /dev/ida/c0d0 or
something like that.  My point is that they're not normal scsi devices
like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.  The "ida" or whatever it's named is for
the raid controller.  You should be able to tell what this is by running
'dmesg' or watching the bootup messages.

I seem to remember the box being picky about what nic you used.  The
built in one used the "thunderlan" driver but we generally just put an
Intel PCI card (eepro) in the box and ran off that.

Very solid and reliable hardware.  Of course our developer were always
crashing it with Java but that's another story...

> Also - what would one expect to pay for a unit as described above?

I'm guessing $500-$800 given that prices have dropped so much but I
really don't know.  Try searching "completed" auctions on ebay for this
item?
--
scot