On 4 Jun 2004, Tom Penney wrote:
> Not true. How does the world know where to find your DNS Servers?
> answer: They check with your registrars DNS server for the ip ddress of
> your dns servers. If the registrar goes down you are screwed, Period.

Hmm - maybe I'm out of date here but, I was under the firm impression
that, even today, every root nameserver contained the appropriate NS
records for every domain within the TLDs they are authoritative for.
Again, perhaps that is an antiquated view?  The point being that the
registrars NS is not interrogated unless they are listed as being the NS
for that specific, registered domain.

> I do have our own dns server running bind. I also have one at home. I'm
> having trouble with running bind though NAT on my cisco 678. The cisco
> rewrites the bind anser packets and I get traffic to my house intended
> for our busness domains... (I've posted her with that problem before),
> Also my home DNS goes down regularly. I moved DNS to the registrar
> because I _ASS_umed that the registar would have better redundant
> systems than we have...

I would have made the same assumption!
--
73  Chris Cox  N0UK, G4JEC, ex-AB0CN, ex-G8PTC  RNARS #1157  EN34jv33

chrisc at Chris.Org        Ping Jockey's do it until they HEAR the burn...
  WWW Home Page: http://WWW.Chris.Org/   http://www.pingjockey.net
  Cultural observation:
	Europeans think 100 miles is a long way;
	Americans think 100 years is a long time!
  If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.